Robin's Reviews > The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag

The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley

Mar 14, 2010

bookshelves: books-in-10, too-funny
Read in March, 2010

I still want to be Flavia De Luce when I grow up.

Her second adventure is no less hilarious than her first. This time, it's murder and mayhem with a traveling puppet show, and again the village of Bishop's Lacey is full of the most useful information, if one only knows where to look.

In addition to the new usual suspects, in this episode we meet Aunt Felicity. I feared, from the way she commandingly strode onto the stage, that we had an Aunt Alexandra (from To Kill a Mockingbird) on our hands. In a way we do, but more human and less manners-oriented. I like Aunt Felicity a great deal. I hope we see more of her and Flavia soon.

Very very soon.

I got absolutely nothing done this weekend. It was wonderful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag.

Quotes Robin Liked

Alan Bradley
“This was an interesting thought; it had never occurred to me that one's name could be a compass.”
Alan Bradley, The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag

Alan Bradley
“I am often thought of as being remarkably bright, and yet my brains, more often than not, are busily devising new and interesting ways of bringing my enemies to sudden, gagging, writhing, agonizing death.”
Alan Bradley, The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) I know I just couldn't put the book down till I was done. You can be Flavia if I can marry Deiter. Sound like a plan?

Robin That totally sounds like a plan. Who can we contact to get that moving?

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) I think Thursday Next can hook us up!