Karina's Reviews > The Beekeeper's Apprentice

May 17, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: unsorted, mystery
Read in May, 2010

This author had a short story in The Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. In the introduction the main character is described as "what Sherlock Holmes would look like if Holmes, the Victorian detective, were (a) a woman, (b) of the Twentieth century, and (c) interested in theology". Which is an intriguing description to me. Since this book features the same main character (and despite the fact that the short story was only so-so), I'd like to read this.

----

The protagonist goes to great pains to point out that she is studying theology at the university. Well, I'm more than half-way through the book, and the importance of theology hasn't been shown. What is she learning? How is it helping in her adventures? How does it affect her life at all? She talks seemingly about anything but theology. She talks about the university theater, about her escapades pretending to be an Indian nobleman, about what Holmes is teaching here, about her working at the farm, about the cases she works on with Holmes' supervision, even about certain assignment for her other major. And I for one find it extremely odd that theology is mentioned (quite a few times) but it plays no part in the book, except perhaps to annoy Holmes and make this preposterous point (that he'd take on an apprentice who is studying theology).

----

The relevance of theology still hasn't been shown by the end of the book, but overall I rather enjoyed the book, especially the second part.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beekeeper's Apprentice.