Maggie's Reviews > The Almost Moon

The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold

Nov 21, 07

bookshelves: relationships, difficult-to-finish
Read in November, 2007

After I read Sebold's The Lovely Bones a couple of years ago I eagerly awaited her newest work of fiction. I had not heard anything about this new book but after the synopsis of the The Almost Moon, about a tumultous mother-daughter relationship, I felt that the book was interesting enough to purchase. I should probably add that I also got the book for 40%, which was also a factor in my purchasing...not always a wise decision.

Some of the things that I like about Sebold's writing is her development of the characters and how the stories do not progress in a linear fashion. I especially appreciated this in The Almost Moon as I got a chance to see a different side of Helen, the main character. Events in her youth have left her an embittered woman, and she continues to feel like a young child in the presence of her elderly mother.

This book is laborious to read--it feels as if it just goes on and on and on... I'm frustrated with Helen's character and I just want to kick her in the rear sometimes. At least the book is making me feel something, although I kind of dread picking it up again to finish the last 20 odd pages.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Almost Moon.