Adriana Martinez's Reviews > There Is Room for You: A Novel

There Is Room for You by Charlotte Bacon

Mar 14, 10

bookshelves: book-club-book
Read in February, 2010

It is not unusual to dislike the main character of a book as this in no way speaks to the significance of any novel. Conversely, when the novel ultimately surrenders to poor writing and a dull story line it becomes a noticeable and annoying flaw in any novel.

I initially thought I had stumbled upon a work of literary significance and continued to believe that several chapters into the book. It is clear that the author understands language as well as the important correlation between language and writing a good story. My problem deals mostly with the many instances that the author deviates from the sophisticated writing she grasps our attention with early in the book to something one might find in a trashy romance novel complete with “bulging biceps” and sprinkles of profanity. Her style is wonderful, and when she finds and maintains her focus and reverts to her above average writing technique some of her writing is comparable to the many wonderful novels written by some of our greatest writers. But, the inconsistency is what terribly annoyed me and more than that disappointed me. I continue my search for the modern great literary genius; I grow weary.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read There Is Room for You.