VanHalen's Reviews > Darkness on the Edge of Town

Darkness on the Edge of Town by Brian Keene

Mar 14, 10

Read in March, 2010

I hate Brian Keene.

Every time a new novel of his comes around, I immediately put down my current book (this time Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons) and start reading.
Then, when I finish it after a few days, it takes me a few more days to get back into the book I was previously reading. Damn it Brian, knock that off!!

Anyway, this book like the natural outgrowth of both Dark Hollow & Ghost Walk, although with Keene's mythology it might not be, which is ok by itself.

The best description is the blurb on the back: "One morning the residents of Walden, Virginia, woke up to find that the rest of the world was gone. Just...gone. Surrounding their town was a wall of inky darkness, casting Walden into permanent night."

From here, it all moves as one would expect it, with a few nice touches along the way to make this different in tone & manner than anything else we have seen from Keene.

So much so that it has me wanting to repackage the book as it should be presented, the found journal of Robbie Higgins. A handwritten, probably battered journal with some hand drawings & lined out/scratched out sentences.

As with most of Keene's work, there are more glimpses into the mythology he has envisioned, which makes me want more each time.

Additionally, as happens in the Leisure Books imprint, there are a few pages in the back from the next Keene offering, A Gathering of Crows. That taste is great & makes me want it now.

Which means that I will drop my current book when it comes out again.
Damn it Keene!!!

Man, Goodreads ate the first version of this, which is frustrating. Hopefully I wrote it the same a second time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkness on the Edge of Town.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Madeleine Great rewiew! :)