Rach's Reviews > The Solitude of Prime Numbers

Mar 14, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: recommended, challenge-10-fall, 2010, in-translation
Read on September 18, 2010

While beautiful written and engaging, with specific and special characters, I felt ultimately disappointed in the conclusion of this slim novel. As two "prime numbers", people that don't necessarily fit with anyone else, Alice and Mattia seems meant for one another. Their characters are built so that though they fumble around in life, and mix up their communications so much that they don't realize how much the other one cares, one still believes that eventually, they have to be together. It's inevitable, like two interlocking puzzle pieces, that they will sit beside each other for life, belonging together like no others could. Despite the brevity of the story, seeing only small snippets of their lives throughout the years, I became quickly invested in their lives and relationship. And perhaps that why, when it didn't end up as I expect, I felt deeply disappointed. All those things I felt building, I was wrong about. I felt fooled and foolish, for hoping for things out of reach.

Despite my disappointment, I can't regret reading this book, because it truly is effortlessly and beautifully written. It's simple and concise, and every word seems perfectly chosen. So yes, you should read it, too. And maybe, because you are a little forewarned, you won't have your heart broken as mine was.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Solitude of Prime Numbers.

message 1: by Cait (new) - rated it 1 star

Cait Poytress Oh, I have this at home right now (checked out from the library). How is it so far?

Rach I just posted my review. It's a super quick read - I think it took me 3 hours or so last night. I would definitely recommend reading it, despite my disappointment in how everything was wrapped up.