Joy's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

May 22, 2010

bookshelves: fiction-fantasy-high, challenged
I own a copy , read count: 4

A girl told me about this series right after book 3 had come out and I tried to get it from the library but everything was checked out so Dad bought me the first two books from my school's book fair but gave them to me for my birthday and Christmas in the wrong order.
What's great about this book is that Rowling sets up people and events that become important in later books. Her characters are rich as well. Harry is the mistreated orphan who finds out that he is a wizard on his 11th birthday. Hagrid, Dumbledore, Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger, Neville Longbottom, Draco Malfoy and Professor Snape join Harry in her colorful cast of well developed characters.

**Parental advisory: I firmly believe that no harm will come to your children for reading Harry Potter. It is not anything like Wicca. If you let your children watch Disney animated movies, you can let them read Harry Potter-it is the same vein of fantasy. The key is to talk to your children about what they are reading and to reinforce that this is fantasy.**

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.