Tilly's Reviews > Breaking The Rules

Breaking The Rules by Barbara Taylor Bradford

Mar 14, 2010

did not like it

I feel like I'm going to shoot myself. I cannot not finish a book, so I'm still going, page 276 and no, it is not getting better.
My issues are plenty... Considering it is set in this day and age, the characters and their dialogue is completely ridiculous! No one thinks or talks like these people.
She kept trying to make the main character, M, the model, seem smart and 'well bred', but instead made her seem pretentious and unbelievable... Not to mention none of the supposed facts about her life / career make any sense.

Why did I pick up this book.. I needed a third for a waterstones 3 for 2, and based on the summary, I stupidly thought M sounded a lot like myself. I was wrong.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breaking The Rules.

03/02 marked as: read

message 1: by Carole (new)

Carole I'm only on page 155--but am tending to agree with you--I put it down in favor of another book and know what you mean about not finishing a book-however--this may be an exception!!

Natasha I completely agree with your review. I finished this, merely because it was for a reading challenge, but it was painful. The characters were flat, they weren't modern and the dialouge was dreadful.

Sherry Cooper I totally agree with these reviews. Barbara Taylor Bradford is past her best by date.