chucklesthescot's Reviews > Dead to the World

Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris

May 25, 14

bookshelves: fiction, 5-star-reads, uf-pnr
Read in January, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Can life really get any more complicated for Sookie? Well, yes of course it can! Eric has been cursed by a witch and lost his memory so Sookie agrees to hide him at her house while Pam runs the business. Jason suddenly goes missing and Alcide's werewolves are turning up dead. Just another day in Bon Temps...

Sookie is nursing her broken heart over Bill cheating on her and despite his reasoning that a vampire has to obey a summons from his maker, to her it does not justify him cheating on her. So it looks like the big Sookie and Bill romance is over for good.

It was nice to have a new enemy involved this time. The witches are taking over businesses and casting spells on those who refuse. In this case Eric angers one of the witches by refusing to sleep with her instead, hence the amnesia spell. Now they are trying to hunt him down and the staff at Fangtasia are trying to protect his whereabouts while Sookie looks after him. I loved the shy, vulnerable, scared Eric in this book and LOVED his seduction of Sookie. AT LAST! These two belong together in my book and are a better pair than Sookie and Bill. Pam was wonderful in this book, taking charge and bossing everyone about. She is such a great character and I want to see more of her. And yea, Bubba is here again! He is just so funny. (Psst 'Don't call him Elvis...')We also meet Claudine the fairy here for the first time and I really love her character.

The pack are involved in this book as some of the witches are also shifters and the death of one of the pack leaders gets them all riled up to fight. An uneasy alliance with vampires, shifters and local witches needs to hold so they can bring down the enemy. Sookie also has to watch her back knowing that the twisted Debbie Pelt is in this alliance and determined to get revenge on her. Sookie's love life is complicated enough with Eric and Bill but Alcide is making it clear that he is interested. I just don't see him and Sookie as a couple personally.

SPOILERS COMING!
OK you were warned! It was a really good build up to the big fight at the end with the all action battle. I was also so pleased to see Debbie getting what comes to her when Alcide hears what she did to Sookie. I was cheering and sticking up my fingers at the book as she slithered off into the dark alone! The scene back at Sookie's house where Debbie shoots her and she is saved by Eric taking the bullet took me by surprise, and it was a great twist. You just know that this whole mess is going to come back to bite Sookie big time...

The spell wears off and Eric has no memory of the time he and Sookie spent together and Sookie hides her misery by pretending nothing happened. She also doesn't want Eric to remember that together they killed and buried the uber bitch Debbie Pelt (GOOD,die bitch die)after she tried to kill Sookie again. I don't think that this is the end of the road for Eric and Sookie-at least I hope it isn't.

The other excellent piece of plot was Jason going missing. It's not until later that we find out that he was kidnapped by the jealous panther who wants Crystal for himself. Jason has been bitten and is going to become a were-panther on the next full moon. Jason honey, I have sympathy for you but that Crystal is baaaad news! I'm with Sookie on that one!

Another excellent book in this urban fantasy series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead to the World.

Quotes chucklesthescot Liked

Charlaine Harris
“If there were an international butt competition, Eric would win, hands down—or cheeks up.”
Charlaine Harris, Dead to the World