chucklesthescot's Reviews > Circus of the Damned

Jul 23, 14

bookshelves: fiction, uf-pnr
Recommended for: monster/horror fans
Read from June 26 to 27, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

A pack of vampires are attacking people related to anti-vampire groups and Anita reluctantly has to go and ask Jean-Claude for answers while all he wants is to make her his human servant. Edward is on the trail of Jean-Claude as are the anti-vampire groups and two other masters and again Anita is up to her eyes in a lot of dangerous people and monsters who are all threatening her. Same old day for a vampire hunter...

As usual I love Anita, her smart mouth getting her into trouble every two minutes, getting attacked by all kinds of monsters. I do like Edward-the sense of danger that radiates off him makes him a fascinating character. We also meet potential love interest Richard, who seems like the really nice guy that Anita needs in her life when all the monsters get too much. Even the cops are good supporting characters. In this book, Anita faces a vampire who wants her as his human servant and her way to safety could be to give in to Jean Claude's demands and let him protect her. But he is any less of a monster and will she lose her humanity if she gives in? Might this other vampire be the way to escape Jean Claude?

It is an action packed book and I really enjoyed it as the plot moved to lots of different locations with new dangers. The Circus was interesting and it's not a place that sounds very safe for the human paying guests to visit! I did like the final showdown scenes but I won't spoil it by saying anything about it.

My big bugbear was the moronic behaviour of Jean-Claude, setting up Anita to get hurt in that fight at the Circus with Marguerite. It was stupid and childish and was the first time that his character really pissed me off. The continual bullying of Anita to force her to become his servant does get wearing after a while though. He is a sulky child, pouting when he doesn't get what he wants. Part of me wanted him to get staked in this book for being a fanged asshat.

The books also continue to be over descriptive about Anita's guns and clothes with lots of free publicity for a certain footwear brand! Anita likes to pick fights over stupid things which can be a bit annoying but it's a minor issue for me.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Circus of the Damned.

06/26/2010 page 80
24.0% "Jean Claude's games are getting on my nerves a bit in this book"
06/27/2010 page 336
100.0% "Finished! Another great read!"