Richard Gazala's Reviews > The Last Templar

The Last Templar by Raymond Khoury

Mar 13, 10

Read in March, 2006

I enjoyed this book very much. The story is well-paced, the plot twists and turns engagingly, and the characters are sufficiently motivated to propel the action to its conclusion. I appreciated how Khoury allowed the two principal characters to examine their religious and spiritual beliefs during the course of the story, questioning and scrutinizing their respective belief structures. That the belief system in question in "The Last Templar" is Christianity generally, and Roman Catholicism specifically, I found irrelevant. The characters' scrutinization of their attitudes towards faith applies as well to any faith-based belief structure, whether religious, sociocultural, or political. The story urges reflection about any belief unquestioningly accepted or rejected.

Regardless of its philosophical underpinnings, it's a great story, brimming with action and suspense, set in a variety of exotic locales, and it's a lot of fun to read. I understand it's being developed as a miniseries. If the producers and directors do it justice, it will be a lot of fun to watch, too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Templar.