Jennifer's Reviews > Evolution Rx: A Practical Guide to Harnessing Our Innate Capacity for Health and Healing

Evolution Rx by William Meller

Jul 30, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction, own, potty-reading, science, self-help
Read from March 13 to May 18, 2010

I heard an interview with Dr.Meller on the Skepticality podcast and knew for sure I needed to read this book. The interview was fascinating, and the concept that our bodies have evolved to take care of itself, and looking at how and why our ancestors adapted reveals insights into how to improve our own health.

That being said, I don't think I would have enjoyed the book as much if I hadn't heard the interview. I strongly suggest if you read the book to also find that interview. The book itself is more of an overview of Dr. Meller's hypothesis. The interview went far more in death into some of the topics that the book only touches on. However, there is a good reason for this, the book is written in such a way that it is approachable for non-medical, non-science and more typical background. it is written for the common man.

The book reads as a how-to guide of sorts, where Dr. Meller tackles such subjects as the caveman diet and why we crave the foods we do, how to give your immune system a good healthy workout, aches and pains and what they mean, and why the sun might be more beneficial than originally thought. He traces everything back to thinking about how our ancient ancestors evolved to adapt to a world that was constantly trying to kill them. he justifies his arguments with more anecdotal than scientific proof, but as I said before this is a book for a layperson. If you want more on the science, look for additional interviews and material to find out what is going on behind the pages.

A few things from the book have made me completely rethink some of y positions on healthcare. For instance, when my kids have a fever, Instead of rushing to give them fever reducing medicine, I only do so if the fever is uncomfortable, or their pediatrician (who also support this idea) recommends it. What else stuck out to me was the idea that pain means you need to slow down and let your body heal. I try to remember and pay attention to that.

In all, it's an easy and quick read, and it will make you think. when my kid hangs out with a kid with a cold, I'm helping build his immune system.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Evolution Rx.