Sophie's Reviews > The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin

Mar 20, 13

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, read-in-2010, favorites, own, read-in-2013
Recommended for: feminist fantasy fans, people tired of racefail
Read from May 05 to 09, 2010, read count: 2

This book is so awesome, I can't even. *flail*

It was a little slow for me to get into, which might just be my unfamiliarity with a new fantasy world, but I was more and more intrigued as the story went on, and then plot twists started happening, and I was hooked.

Not only is the story awesome, but it has a lot to say about power and privilege and what they do to people. It reverses a lot of fantasy tropes (which is refreshing in most cases, although I'm not sure how I feel about a matriarchal society in which rape is part of the coming-of-age ritual). You could read it as a commentary on white privilege, or the Christian religion, and the horrors both have caused. The story stands on its own without this analysis, but to my mind the analysis makes it better.

Also? There is hott sex. Hott, female-centered, non-misogynist sex. And as another reviewer says: Divine gay incest!

Objectively I realize this book isn't perfect, but I liked it too much to give it 4 stars. I have no idea how a sequel is possible, because the ending pulls no punches, but I eagerly await more stories from this world.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms.

Quotes Sophie Liked

N.K. Jemisin
“We can never be gods, after all--but we can become something less than human with frightening ease.”
N.K. Jemisin, The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms

05/05/2010 page 64
05/07/2010 page 86
20.24% ""We can never be gods, after all--but we can become something less than human with frightening ease.""
05/08/2010 page 174
40.94% "Wow. I did not see that coming."
05/08/2010 page 227
53.41% "This book. So awesome. O_O"

message 1: by Fuchsia (new) - added it

Fuchsia Rascal I really need to bump this up my to-read list, don't I?

Sunil Yes!!