Amelia, the pragmatic idealist's Reviews > Perchance to Dream

Perchance to Dream by Lisa Mantchev

Jun 20, 11

bookshelves: 2010, ya-kids-teen, point-of-view-girl
Read from May 27 to 29, 2010

I loved ELS, and I loved Perchance as well!

This story goes in a different direction from its predecessor: instead of the entire setting being within the Theatre, Bertie and Company take their show on the road, and therefore there’s more action driving Perchance, I think, and so it gave me an exhilarated, excited feeling as I was reading. There were so pretty interesting discoveries made over the course of the story, and so that was fun.

The romantic angle is more pronounced in Perchance, but (thank my lucky eyes like stars!) it never took center stage. There were other more predominant forces of the story, and for that I am especially grateful to the ever-talented author! I said this in Eyes, so forgive me if I sound redundant, but I really, really like Bertie! I just seem to identify with her, somehow, and so it was really nice to read about a character that I actually cared about! Sometimes, though, I wished she didn’t have to be quite so haughty, but she's someone I could relate to and she goes through a lot of the course of the story. I guess what I liked best about Bertie is her unwavering concentration: stuff gets thrown at her from all angles, and yet she never strays from her goal (in this case, to rescue Nate from the malicious Sea Goddess’ lair). Joining her on her journey are the hyper, food-frenzied Midsummer faeries! I love these little guys! Oh, and you too, Pease! These loveable sidekicks were hysterical and adorable from start-to-finish, and I just wish I had four little faerie pals, too!
I have to say, though, that while I liked Nate and Ariel equally in Eyes, but at the end of Perchance, I am now Team Ariel! I don’t fully trust him yet, and I’m sure there will be more revelations about him in Untitled Book Three (most of Perchance seemed to emphasize the search for Nate, and what he was going through), so I can’t wait to for more Ariel!

As always, I remain a big, GUSHING fan of Mantchev’s clever, witty writing style. She has an amazing talent for taking Shakespearean quotes and scenarios and weaving them seamlessly into her narrative – I even underlined all the references I saw.
A very well done sequel! Can’t wait for Untitled Book Three!
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perchance to Dream.

05/27/2010 page 56
16.42% ":D" 3 comments
05/28/2010 page 178
52.2% "aww when I finish this, there won't be anything until next May :( I can't wait that long!"
06/19/2011 "REREAD!"

Christina (Reading Extensively) Wow, this sounds like a fantastic series! I will have to order Eyes Like Stars from the library once my to read pile is reduced a little. I enjoyed your review.

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist I hope you like them! :DD

Miss Clark I know, I am Team Ariel too;)