Matt Evans's Reviews > The Anatomy of Peace: Resolving the Heart of Conflict

The Anatomy of Peace by Arbinger Institute

Mar 20, 10

Read from March 13 to 20, 2010

Anatomy of Peace delivers the goods. This is the Arbinger Institute's second book; Leadership and Self-Deception is their first. It's been so long since I've read the latter, that I really can't compare it to AoP. As far as didactic fiction goes, AoP is the best I've read. The fictional device really isn't that annoying. The story concerns the leaders of Mount Moriah, a troubled-teen camp, Yusef and Avi (Arab and Jew, respectively). The camp's name refers to the site of the "Dome of the Rock" in Israel. Yusef and Avi meet with the troubled-teens' parents, and their conversation forms the bulk of the novel.

The book shows how anyone in a conflict actually causes and perpetuates the conflict by colluding, usually unknowingly, with their 'enemy.' This dynamic informs not only domestic conflicts but national and international conflicts as well. When I view someone as an enemy, I'm viewing her as an object. Alternatively, when I view her as a person, I can't treat her as an enemy.

At any rate, excellent information, well worth the time to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Anatomy of Peace.

03/13/2010 page 103