Krista's Reviews > My Life in France

My Life in France by Julia Child

Apr 29, 10

Read from March 13 to 19, 2010

Child's trademark exuberance comes across well in this book, which explores Julia's life from her thirties to her eighties. Much of that time was spent in France, learning how to cook and then become established as an author and teacher.

What doesn't come across as well is the descriptions of food, oddly. Child relies on French words to identify dishes and doesn't always elaborate on their components. Without a working knowledge of French, cooking, or both, the reader sometimes misses out.

The latter sections of the book, after Julia returns to the states and begins her television show, seem rather rushed and devoid of the warm personality of the earlier pages. While Child's honesty in detailing her personality conflicts with several people is refreshing, one does wonder if those disagreements also had some roots in Child's increasingly businesslike and less ebullient demeanor.

After reading the book, I had the urge to visit France, but not to cook like Julia. All the animal products and the meticulous adherence to careful techniques and recipes do not appeal.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Life in France.