Crazyjamie's Reviews > The Walking Dead, Vol. 01: Days Gone Bye

The Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert Kirkman

Mar 13, 10

bookshelves: favorites
Read in March, 2010

Though not the greatest reader of comic books in the world (a bit of Spiderman, I want to read Watchmen, and that was about it) I always had an interest in them. I also enjoy zombie movies and such, and when I spotted this in comic book store in Belgium I recognised the name. I had heard it vaguely at some point in the past, and thought I'd read a few pages.

To say I was hooked straight away would probably be an understatement. The best comic books have far better writing that the average person gives then credit for, and this one deals with a genre that had really been done to death. But in all areas; the characters, the setting, the graphic design, and the general imagination, this one really raises things to another level, both in the realm of comic books and in the realm of 'zombie stories'.

It is set against a backdrop that is inherently scary and exciting, but it's the characters that take centre stage. More than just zombie fodder, they add real variety, depth and hard hitting twists to the ever evolving plot. And just when I was settling in to this, it ends with an event that is not so much of a twist, but more of a shocking set piece that actually has very little to do with the zombies.

An exceptional comic in every way, and one that I will be reading a lot more of.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Walking Dead, Vol. 01.