Alison's Reviews > The Progress of Love

The Progress of Love by Alice Munro

Mar 28, 10

Read from March 13 to 27, 2010

Very subjective reactions here. This book gave me a new appreciation for Munro. I'm now going to go and reread all the books of hers I've already finished, and get through the ones I haven't read yet. Wonderful stories! I love the glancing incidental bits and how they contribute to the overall structure of each story, or of the collection as a whole. They're so gracefully constructed that I'd have to sit around much longer to ponder the construction in order to explain just what I like about them, which I'm not going to do, because I want more time for reading more. I think I've had this conversation with Rebecca, but in the past I've often read Munro's stories, thought they were great, and then couldn't remember any of them two weeks later. I think I've started to make a breakthrough, memory-wise, which will make rereading her other stories a productive exercise, rather than just a repetition of the same forgetful thing. I definitely had a feeling of learning how to read her, which I didn't have before, and which I think bodes well for all my future forays into fiction.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Progress of Love.