Dan Schwent's Reviews > In the Midst of Death

In the Midst of Death by Lawrence Block

Feb 18, 11

bookshelves: crime-and-mystery, hardcase-writers, 2010, block
Read from March 15 to 28, 2010

A crooked cop goes straight and spills his guts to the Special Prosecutor but before anything can materialize, a call girl is found dead in his apartment. Broadfield, the cop, hires Matthew Scudder to clear his name and find out who is framing him. But can Scudder clear a dirty cop when all the other cops are gunning for him?

Lawrence Block keeps surprising me with the Matthew Scudder series. Every time he tricks me into thinking a certain way, only to jerk the rug out from under me when the person I fingered as the culprit turns out dead. Scudder continues to grow as a character, already far beyond his somewhat stereotyped alcoholic detective roots. His relationships with the women in his life are well done and not cliched. His family continues to drift out of his grasp. He realizes he has a drinking problem but doesn't know if he can stop. The mystery itself twists and turns, spiraling like a snail shell and New York is almost a character on its own.

I've said it before but I can't recommend Lawrence Block's Matthew Scudder series enough.
12 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Midst of Death.

03/15/2010 page 1
show 9 hidden updates…

TK421 I really want to read some Lawrence Block. Your review makes me under if I shouldn't pick something up by him the next time I visit my favorite used bookstore.

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Gavin wrote: "I really want to read some Lawrence Block. Your review makes me under if I shouldn't pick something up by him the next time I visit my favorite used bookstore."

Kemper and I are both huge Lawrence Block fans. His Matthew Scudder series is fantastic. The Keller books (Hitman and the other Hit books) are also quite good.

Stephen Dan wrote: "Gavin wrote: "I really want to read some Lawrence Block. Your review makes me under if I shouldn't pick something up by him the next time I visit my favorite used bookstore."

Kemper and I are b..."

Dammit!!! Something else I have to add to my read list...Thanks a lot.