John's Reviews > Digitize This Book!: The Politics of New Media, or Why We Need Open Access Now

Digitize This Book! by Gary Hall

Mar 13, 10

bookshelves: 2010, culturalstudies, epublishing
Read in March, 2010

This is a wide-ranging polemic about how academics need to embrace the open access movement for political reasons that relies on the theorists-du-jour than a practical guide on how the academic world needs to change with the times. As much as I enjoyed Hall's analysis of the issues with digital publishing being a shadow of print, I found parts of the book too theoretical. I would have preferred it if the book was a little more concise and could have done without the lengthy parts on the politics. Yes it is all tied together, but it could have been two books (one on the importance of the open access movement to the future of academics and one on the political foundations that steer the movement) instead of one and made more powerful arguments. I found myself disinterested in parts of the book and skipping ahead to pick up the thread of an argument on open access. Great notes and bibliography though. The book is worth skimming and reference for those in the open access fray.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Digitize This Book!.