Sara's Reviews > My Enemy's Cradle

My Enemy's Cradle by Sara Young

Mar 13, 10

bookshelves: 12th-grade

This is a historical fiction about a young woman who is half Jewish and have German, and is trying to hide her Jew identity. After the death of her pregnant cousin she becomes pregnant and takes her place in the maternity home. In other words, Cyrla, the protagonist, takes on the identity of her cousin Anneka. Reason why she had to do that is because the maternity place is where German girls are so its her only way to hide safely and to survive. The setting of the book takes place during the Holocause so if her Jewish idenity was to be exposed, she would be killed.

However, the conflict of the story is not as obvious because the main conflict of her story is not to simply hide her identity but to also save her child. The issue with living in the maternity home is that once the mother gives birth, she must give up her child and Cyrla, the protagonist, struggles to run away from the maternity home.

I really like this book because it's beyond the usual stories we heard about the Holocaust, with the concentration and death camps and stuff. We get to see another aspect of that part of history and it is extrememly fascinating.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Enemy's Cradle.