Blue's Reviews > Tanglewreck

Tanglewreck by Jeanette Winterson

Oct 19, 12

bookshelves: adventure, fantasy, science-fiction, young-adult
Read from October 17 to 19, 2012

Funny how everyone thinks this book is very much like the Golden Compass. Well, in one way it certainly is not: I actually liked the kid in Tanglewreck. I hated the kids in Pullman's books. I could not care less what happened to them; in fact, at certain points, I wanted them to just go away. Silver, on the other hand, is not annoying or obnoxious or stupid or overly melodramatic.

Winterson has always toyed with relativity and quantum physics in her books; Tanglewreck is no exception. But Winterson takes many liberties and, let's say, she draws out the poetry in these cosmic concepts, or blurs them rather well using her poetic license. The plot is action packed and often hilarious, with bumbling pirates and alchemists and Popes (yes, yes, ALL of them!). Winterson pokes fun at the Catholic Church (only one hour of torture!) and at science. Every character, from the grumpy "aunt" to the rhyming butler, from the house to the Home-Alone-type burglars who attempt to break in, shines in that special Winterson way.

What can be faster than the speed of light? Winterson's philosophy on life and love continues in this book. The themes she weaves in earlier works like The Passion and Written on the Body are surprisingly present here.

All in all, Tanglewreck was a great, fun read. Loved the cat, the individual wave function, and the black hole. And got the strange feeling that Winterson has a hang up about twins?!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tanglewreck.

10/17/2012 page 230