John's Reviews > Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

1917422
May 16, 10

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in March, 2010

I came across this book at Barnes & Noble while I was at Union Station in DC and had to call a friend who has encyclopedic knowledge of books of this genre.
I was pulled in immediately by the cover and decided that I was going to buy it on my way home.
How could you not want to read a book about someone like Lincoln, who seemingly faced tragedy upon tragedy in his personal life only to be doubly tested in his political life.
The book is built on the premise that Lincoln kept a series of secret journals over his lifetime chronicling his life-long battle against the dark forces of vampires, including their role in the Civil War and the perpetuation of slavery.
While the premise is, of course, ludicrous, I found I just couldn't put the book down. As if Lincoln needed another dimension added to his heroic and tragic life.
Honest Abe is helped during his vampire hunt by the mysterious Henry, a vampire himself. Sprinkled throughout the book are clever illustrations and "actual" photos. Oh, Photoshop.
Anyway,if you like history mixed with a good dose of fantasy, you should pick this up.
Also, check out this silly promotional video:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abraham Lincoln.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by The Flooze (new) - added it

The Flooze "encyclopedic knowledge," eh?

Lol.

John Do I not speak the truth? :)

message 3: by The Flooze (new) - added it

The Flooze Lol. Not compared to some folks on here.

Besides, you think I only read smut!

John Alas, is it not okay that a guy flatter a gal every so often? Since I do not know these other folks you speak of, I can only compare thee to me.

Did you know that smut spelled backwards is "tums?" Why does this intrigue me?

message 5: by The Flooze (new) - added it

The Flooze Hmn.

Because you're quite mad?

Because you need one every time you look at my reading list?

message 6: by The Flooze (new) - added it

The Flooze If I just took the flattery, it wouldn't be half as fun knowing me!

message 7: by The Flooze (new) - added it

The Flooze Why do they keep spamming THIS review?

Gabby Unfortunately, I don't have a friend with an encyclopedic knowledge of this genre, so I took the plunge on my own. I am horribly ashamed to admit that I read the first book of the Twilight series as well as Interview With The Vampire. Compared to that nonsense, this book is a standout. I was happy to read your review and see I'm not the only one who thinks the idea of AL as a vampire hunter is ludicrous, but OMG, the book is a good read!

John It really was a great surprise and glad you enjoyed it, too.