Lydia Presley's Reviews > Balancing Acts

Balancing Acts by Zoe Fishman

May 09, 10

bookshelves: 2010, fiction, chick-stuff
Read from May 08 to 09, 2010

Let me just say - if you are going to write about four women and their paths toward fulfilling their dreams - at least try to be somewhat unique about it. As I was reading through this book I couldn't get over how similar this book was to books like The Friday Night Knitting Club, The School of Essential Ingredients, and even the story that Balancing Acts mocks in its pages, Carrie Bradshaw and Sex in the City.

Like these books we look at things from all the characters points of view. I saw the story twist with Naomi coming immediately and all I could think was.. "Please.. don't go there". And it did.

The dialogue was awkward and strange. I got the feeling Naomi was almost..wishing for or boasting about the major change that happened to her life.

Aside from the story - there was some really bad editing. At one point, Charlie begins to make a box of macaroni and cheese and in the space of three paragraphs, opens the box and dumps the noodles in twice. Then about 10 sentences later, spoken to her friend over the phone, the noodles are done? I wish mine cooked that fast - maybe it's from the double pour. In another instance, Naomi was talking to Naomi about something. You get the picture. It was distracting.

From pure stubbornness I finished the book. I wanted to like it - I love yoga and I can appreciate the idea that slowing down, stretching and reconnecting with women from your past can have a calming and enriching impact on your life. I just don't think it can happen in the period of six weeks - plus have everything else that was wrong in your life suddenly go right.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Balancing Acts.