Rosalie's Reviews > The Day of the Pelican

The Day of the Pelican by Katherine Paterson

Mar 13, 2010

bookshelves: childrens-books
Read in March, 2010

This is the story of a family Albanians living in Kosovo who have are being persecuted by the Serbians and forced brutally from their home in 1999. Suddenly they become homeless refuges forced to live in a tent in the mountains. They survive the ethnic cleansing attempts that the Serbs submit to these people. Finally a church sponsors this family and they end up in Vermont. But their persecution doesn't stop there. This book really opened my eyes up to the plight of the refuges living in this world. It would be a great read aloud for classes of children grade 4 and up especially those schools that have children who have been displaced from their homelands. Katherine Patterson is a wonderful author who tackles today issues in a format that children can understand.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Day of the Pelican.

message 1: by Genie (new)

Genie Bishop I have always really enjoyed reading Katherine Patterson. I think she does an excellent job with historical fiction.

Rosalie I agree.... she tackles some tough social issues and writes stories that kids can understand.