Trice's Reviews > Guns, Germs and Steel: A Short History of Everybody for the Last 13,000 Years

Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond

Aug 03, 13

bookshelves: list-fso, political-science, history, list-mcwhorter, 2013, science, culture-studies, language-study
Read from June 10 to August 03, 2013 — I own a copy

fascinating and great for both long reads and pick-up-put-down short interval reads. Easy to follow, even while encompassing a huge amount of human history. Sometimes the repetition of ideas was a bit much; at times it was a repetition found in examples provided to illustrate and support the idea; at others it just seemed like he was afraid his readers would forget what the point of that section or the whole of the book was. But still, as I moved past the beginning section, I didn't notice this as much and simply found myself engulfed in the long human histories/geographies of continents as well as some great summaries of global or continental or regional linguistic histories, something for which I've been wishing for quite a while. As always, read with a critical eye, but I would definitely recommend this to, I think, one and all.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guns, Germs and Steel.

06/10/2013 page 53
11.0% "engaging writing style and fascinating info + discussion - really enjoying this so far. Caveat: He's either making big jumps in reasoning in places or the short space allowed for each sub-topic in order for him to cover everything means he's not explaining the thorough grounding he seems to assume."
06/26/2013 page 131
27.0% "still interesting, but feels too macro in some ways - I think I want more details, but with the sweeping statement he's trying to make, not sure it's necessary. I think he has a point in a certain way, but he makes really sweeping assumptions in his writings in order to support that point - the point may be right in some ways, while the assumptions are often weakly based"
07/28/2013 page 339
70.0% "really liking this book as I'm honing in on the end, despite prob's in the beginning. Oh, and in the disc in the germs section started to wonder about the reading level since the desc seemed sooooo incredibly dumbed down - viruses having /babies/?! are there seriously ppl reading this book who wld have trouble with the word reproduction?! I mean, 3 cheers for a broadened reading public, but I somehow doubt it."
08/03/2013 page 481
100.0% "really liking this book as I'm honing in on the end, despite prob's in the beginning. Oh, and in the disc in the germs section started to wonder about the reading level since the desc seemed sooooo incredibly dumbed down - viruses having /babies/?! are there seriously ppl reading this book who wld have trouble with the word reproduction?! I mean, 3 cheers for a broadened reading public, but I somehow doubt it."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura The documentary is also worth watching - if you haven't already seen it.

Trice Laura wrote: "The documentary is also worth watching - if you haven't already seen it."

ah! didn't realize there was one - I'll look about for it then :)