Carbon De'ceti's Reviews > Gravity's Rainbow

Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon

Apr 01, 10

Read in March, 2010

As we approach the novel, from the distance it appears a veritable monolith, numbering in at some 776 pages. When we reach the base, the sun's like askews due to the sheer size, even so much that vegetation has ceased to grow around it, an intimidating structure for certain. When we delve beneath the surface, we find a complex labyrinth, snaking along its twisted and writhing passages, that ironically ends in the same place it began; a regular ouroboros. Gravity's Rainbow chronicles the harrowing adventures of some four hundred beleaguered souls, in multiple plot lines that weave and intertwine across post-World-War-two Europe, as well as addressing several poignant issues relevant to the latter half of the 20th century. You just keep on going, onward, boldly forward, following a trajectory of delta-x and delta-y, through dense forests teaming with life—jaguars and other predatory cats, turtles, esoteric flora who's evolutionary function you'll never fully grasp, insect life that crunches underfoot... yes, that's right, Sonni, stomp them flat... why of course you should, they'll take over if you don't... I mean, what else would they be for—when suddenly you find yourself isolated, remote, standing alone in a graying wasteland, a sense of entropy hanging in the tepid banal air, when, looking to the west, the sun dips beneath the horizon, the mountains silhouetting to a set of jagged teeth like the maw of a beast about to consume you, until finally, you finally return to zero.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gravity's Rainbow.