Michelle's Reviews > The Good Women of China: Hidden Voices

The Good Women of China by Xinran

Mar 22, 10

Read in March, 2010

Okay, so I haven't read tons of books about the real lives of modern women in China, but I would think this is the quintessential one. Though this book didn't touch me in the same way The Sky Burial did (not many books do), Xinran did make me think, feel, and want to learn more. Some of the stories were especially difficult to read--the story about women who lost their own children in a devastating earthquake and went on to run an orphanage, a couple of stories about women who were young children during the Cultural Revolution. Oooph, those were tough to read. After gasping, "Oh...noooo..." to myself several times, my partner finally asked me what the heck I was reading and why. Stories about women in China, and because it's important to pass along this history of real people.

I did also realize while reading this that I seem to have read a lot more books about China than Japan, so I need to get cracking on that. Any recommendations are welcome.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good Women of China.

03/16/2010 page 88

message 1: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz I have a recommendation for you: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/92... I really, really enjoyed this book.