Julian's Reviews > Crooked Little Heart

Crooked Little Heart by Anne Lamott

Nov 20, 07

bookshelves: regular-fiction
Read in November, 2007

This book is the sequel to Rosie, and they are two of my mom's favorite novels of all time, so when I read them I couldn't help looking for her in them. I found her, but I also found that I really loved Crooked Little Heart far more than Rosie. Rosie, especially the ending, didn't really push my thinking. Crooked Little Heart did. I'm glad I read it now, since starting roller derby - so much of the book focuses on a competitive sport (Tennis, my mom's favorite) as a metaphor, and it really helped that I can now identify with competitive sports.

The problems of the young teenage Rosie resonated with me far more than the ones of the 7-year-old. And the Elizabeth that was grown into her marriage was less obnoxiously self-obsessed and seemed like a more well-rounded character. And one of the conversations between her and Rae regarding what they did and did not have in life is sticking with me and probably will for quite some time.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crooked Little Heart.