Jessica's Reviews > The Bodies Left Behind

The Bodies Left Behind by Jeffery Deaver

May 13, 10

bookshelves: crime, fiction, mystery, recommendation, thriller, 2010, 4-stars-really-liked-it
Recommended to Jessica by: Taryn's mom
Recommended for: fans of crime mystery/thriller
Read from May 03 to 12, 2010

The mother of a friend of mine loaned me this book when she found out I tend to like crime thrillers - she said this was one of her favorites, and I can see why! This book has so many twists and turns, that I really feel compelled to read it again, just so I can put it all together with the hindsight I have now. It's one of those stories where at the end, you think, wow! great story, great twists, but now I want to go back and do it again, to see if I can pick up on the clues that I missed the first time around, knowing what I know about how it ends.

There is a quote near the end of the book where the "mastermind" criminal really sums up how the whole book works: "(character) was reflecting back on a truth (s)he had learned over the years: that people heard what they wanted to hear, saw what they wanted, believed what they wanted." So true, isn't it? It really explains how the author is able to lead you down the path he wants you to take, then suddenly knock you sideways, spin you around blindfolded and put you back on the path of what really happened.

There is a lot of suspense successfully built into this book too. I was actually sitting in my car in the parking lot at work during lunch, reading this book. It was a beautiful day, the windows were down and it was quiet. I heard someone walk up next to the car, turned, and actually let out a squeal because I was so wrapped up in the book, this person startled me completely! I felt foolish, but that's how good this book was for me!

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a good suspenseful crime thriller - you will not be disappointed!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bodies Left Behind.

Quotes Jessica Liked

Jeffery Deaver
“She was reflecting back on a truth she had learned over the years: that people heard what they wanted to hear, saw what they wanted, believed what they wanted.”
Jeffery Deaver, The Bodies Left Behind