Krys's Reviews > Original Sin

Original Sin by Lisa Desrochers

May 19, 2014

bookshelves: demon-themed, young-adult, urban-dark-fantasy-paranormal, twins, fallen-guardian-angels, first-person-narrative, medium-length-book, read-in-2011, series-i-love, series, arcs-i-no-longer-have
Read from June 16 to 20, 2011 , read count: 1

Last September I read an ARC of Personal Demons by Lisa Desrochers and fell utterly in love. The world was so fun, the story stellar, and the tone was really sexy. Recently I got the chance to meet Lisa at an author event hosted by the store I work at. So of course two weeks later an ARC of her upcoming sequel, Original Sin, turned up in my hands. No autograph for me. Bollocks.

However, missing the chance to have her sign the book aside, Original Sin lived up to Personal Demons. The mood carries through to the second book and, shock of shocks, surmounts it. This book is better than the first book.

It's been a few months since Frannie's Sway turned former demon Luc human and everyone is adjusting - Luc to all of the less attractive things that humans have to put up with to survive and Frannie who is astounded by her own ability. Also newly changed is Frannie's dead twin brother, Matt, who is now her guardian angel at the behest of Gabe, who has absconded. Frannie misses Gabe's presence but has enough on her plate. Luc's new human.. ahem... "attributes" prove more than enough to distract her.

These books are very sexy in tone, but I'm more interested in what happens between and behind the sex - at the beautiful interactions that Desrochers has imbued into her characters and the story at large. The sex is nothing when compared to Frannie's guilt, Luc's redemption, Gabe's longing, and Matt's rage. Desrochers cycles through many levels of the human condition in this book. Why stop at lust when you can continue with pain as eloquently as Desrochers does? These are genuinely flawed people Desrochers has created: all of them fallible and all of them awesome.

I try not to do spoilers, especially considering the book releases in two weeks and you won't have enough time to forget it but let's just say this - I did not expect that sex scene two-thirds of the way through the book. Wow. Floored. Bravo Lisa. Brilliant plot point. You've surprised even me. I'm glad I sacrificed a piece of cheesecake to retrieve this from a friend's house that I had left it at.

5 out of 5 stars. Now I want the third book. *whinge*

- review courtesy of www.bibliopunkkreads.com
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Original Sin.

06/18/2011 page 130
33.0% "I've had no time to read htis for 2 days... having a social life (for once) does that to you. :)"
show 2 hidden updates…