Lisa's Reviews > First Light

First Light by Rebecca Stead

F 50x66
Mar 12, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: capch-audio, adventure, animals, audio, dogs, environment, families, fantasy, science-fiction
Recommended to Lisa by: CapCh audio
Read from March 12 to 15, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Parallel story lines about Peter, who is in Greenland on a scientific expedition with his father, and Thea, who wants her people to move beyond the place under the ice where they have lived for many generations, finally converge when Thea explores the surface and encounters Peter. The premise was interesting, but I was confused by some things. It could be due to momentary lapses of attention since I was driving while listening, but I'm still not sure why Thea's people were being hunted in the first place and fled England. Was it because of their special abilities? I was also struck by the fact that all Thea's people had black hair, yet blond-haired Peter ends up being her cousin. Is that genetically possible? Would Peter's mother have carried a recessive blond gene?
I liked the relationships with the dogs and how they were valued.
Overall, the story was interesting and imaginative, but a bit uneven. Over the course of listening to it I had 2 different passengers in the car (ages 19 and 23) both of whom listened for almost an hour, but did not get engaged in the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Light.

message 1: by Bec (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bec Thea's people fled because others thought they were witches. Remember, Peter's mother ended up falling in love with an American guy who had very blond hair.

Lisa Thanks for the clearing that up! You can see I was a bit distracted while listening. (I loved When You Reach Me, and can't wait to read your next work!) Cheers.

message 3: by Bec (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bec Wait a minute ... Do you think I'm Rebecca Stead?

Lisa Sorry if I made the wrong guess!

message 5: by Bec (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bec No, its fine :) I only dream about being a published author.