Lauma's Reviews > mammalabilia

mammalabilia by Douglas Florian

Mar 16, 10

bookshelves: poetry

A collection of short and witty poems about some common and not-so-common mammals that you would see at the zoo--from fox to rheboks. Florian cleverly uses puns, word play, and rhymes to create a musical rhythm when read out loud. Most of these poems are less than five lines long and some are written in a form to match the distinctive qualities of the animal.

Florian also illustrates his book with child-like paintings in bold colors and simplistic lines that are detailed to match the humor contained in the poems. A perfect match!

I would highly recommend this book for kids of all ages--but only older children would recognize the word play, humor and higher level vocabulary.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read mammalabilia.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

L-Crystal Wlodek I thought Mammalabilia was a very fun and enjoyable verse poem themed collection. These 21 short animal verse poems were light, whimsical, and fun. They made me laugh a lot because of the many humorous one liners written throughout the poems. The illustrations were as enjoyable as the poems and worked well with the text since they were both very clever. What did you think?