Raechel's Reviews > Of Mice and Men

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

F 50x66
Apr 22, 10

Read from March 12 to April 13, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I chose to read Of Mice and Men because I just finished reading East of Eden by Steinbeck and I really loved it. Steinbeck writes in a way that makes me feel like I was living in his book.

ELA IRP Raechel Mizrachi 6/7 Z
Of Mice and Men
John Steinbeck

This story takes place on a ranch in Salinas, CA. George and Lennie are looking for a place to stay. They find themselves near a riverbank. Lennie keeps fidgeting with something in his pocket. Lennie strokes the thing in his pocket constantly to keep calm. George soon discovers that Lennie is carrying a dead mouse because Georges asks Lennie what he has in his pocket. George takes the mouse from Lennie and throws it in the brush. Lennie goes to collect firewood and requests ketchup on his beans. George tells Lennie that they don’t have any ketchup. As soon as Lennie returns George sees that Lennie is again stroking something in his pocket. George asks Lennie about what’s in his pocket. At first Lennie says it is nothing but George knows it’s the dead mouse. Gorge takes the mouse and throws it a second time as far as possible. George tries to calm Lennie down. Lennie again asks for ketchup on his beans, George explodes. He yells and screams about how big of a baby Lennie is and they end up in silence. Lennie says he will just run away and he won’t bother George anymore. Gorge says he is sorry but Lennie is still not calm. Lennie wants to hear the story about how they are going to live in fatta land. George tells him that they will have a couple acres of land with a cow, pigs and rabbits. Soon they see some farmers nearby. They are hired to work on the land and bucking grain. George’s challenge is Lennie. Lennie always messes up. Lennie may seem like a man but he’s as little as a mouse. The result is tragic. Lennie kills takes two innocent lives and is eventually killed himself.

I do not have a favorite character in this book however I do have a least-favorite character. Curley is my least-favorite character because he is very violent. Some people may think that the violence spices up the story but I believe what he does is plain wrong. For example, Curley beat up Lennie because he thought he was flirting with Curley’s wife. Curley also organized a gang to kill Lennie after Lennie accidentally killed his wife. This is why Curley is my least-favorite character.

The climax of the story happened when Lennie accidentally killed Curley’s wife. It was the climax because Lennie would soon be killed as well. At this point in the story, Lennie had just been beaten up by Curly because he thought Lennie was messing with Curley’s wife. Curley is a mouse, he hides behind his wife and that is why he needs her so badly.

I believe the author wanted to teach me that anyone can act like they are important and capable but in truth they may be as little as a mouse. I saw this in the book when I read the title Of Mice And Men. George was also a mouse who appeared to be in charge. George knew that Lennie didn’t mean to kill Curley’s wife yet he didn’t stand up for Lennie. George got sucked into the mob mentality. Curley is a mouse because he hid behind his wife. This is important because acting like a person who is capable doesn’t make you a person who is capable or someone you can trust.

I would recommend this book because of the details used by the author, how interesting it was and because it made me feel very sad. It was detailed because you always feel like your right there. It was interesting because it described the journey of two men and I do not know a lot about this subject. In my home we are three girls. I spend time with my Dad but he isn’t a big talker. It was very sad because Steinbeck wrote so vividly that I felt like I was in the story and it was so intense. Of Mice And Men is a spectacular book. It is the thrilling, sad, and vivid. Anyone would enjoy this book.
Rate it 1-10.
10. Just stunning.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Of Mice and Men.

03/12/2010 page 3