Heather's Reviews > Fat Kid Rules the World

Fat Kid Rules the World by K.L. Going

Mar 22, 2010

bookshelves: ls583, young-adult, 2010
Read in March, 2010

This story opens as Troy, an overweight high school student, is contemplating committing suicide by jumping in front of a train. He is stopped by Curt, a high school dropout from Troy’s school. The two boys form an unlikely friendship with Curt convincing Troy to become the drummer for his punk rock band, even though Troy has no previous drumming experience. Their friendship causes problems with Troy’s father because he thinks Curt is into drugs. As the story unfolds, Troy ends up learning more than just punk rock music.

I really enjoyed this book. It reads quickly and easily. I really got to know Troy and his obsession with being fat and wanting to fit in. This story reminded me a bit of Perks of Being a Wallflower, but with much less controversy. Troy, like Charlie in Perks, has to learn to be a participant in his own life. Troy’s mother is dead, and we get a sense of the strain in the relationship between Troy and his father. Troy’s father doesn’t want to have a fat kid as a son, but he truly loves his son and wants the best for him.

I would recommend this book highly, especially to reluctant readers. It’s a wonderful exploration of the development of a friendship and the growth of Troy's self esteem without being too preachy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fat Kid Rules the World.