Fabian's Reviews > The Coma

The Coma by Alex Garland

May 27, 10

As writers go, this one has the career I covet and an incredible repertoire--he has been compared to Graham Greene. Well, this is the WRITER OF MY GENERATION, and therefore, it's Mr. Greene who should consider himself fortunate.

For a book that requires no bookmark, this one is a must. Like a riveting film, one of the best ones out there that you probably never got to see in the theater and sweetens the day considerably when you do sit down and invest and hour and a half, this one is worth it. Even the woodcuts added to the drama by the writer's father gives it extra spice.

Alex Garland's "The Coma" is like Paul Auster's "Timbuktu": brief, told in a disembodied POV, a cool concept that you think might fail at any minute, might become pretentious or may end soon in nowheresville, but does NOT. Whereas Auster's work is plagued with obvious pathos, Mr. Garland chooses wisely to stray far and make beauty without the use of sentimentalism: a trait I find very attractive and undoubtedly speaks to the generation. Carl is us and his simple ambitions, whether its to "find a partner and have kids" or just the physical act of waking up, are likewise ours.

Man, you don't have to describe to me how sad things are so implicitly when, like the true master that Garland is (Just see my profile, under FAVORITE AUTHORS), using both blankness and darkness, minutae and profundity, you can bestow me with a portal that sees inside myself.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Coma.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Terri (new)

Terri Wow-i put this on my list. you know my compulsion for "Best of" proclamations. now I MUST read it!