Chachic's Reviews > On the Jellicoe Road

On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

Aug 08, 14

bookshelves: physical-owned-copies, favorites, aussie-books, fictional-crushes, best-of-2010, made-me-cry, ya-contemps-recs
Read from April 05 to 07, 2010

I have one word to describe this book: intense. Everything about this book, from the characters to how they relate to each other to the emotions, is intense. I finished reading this a couple of days ago and I still can't stop thinking about it. Book hangover alert! This is such a beautiful book about love, friendship and family. The characters went through so much that you can't help but empathize and feel for them.

Taylor was abandoned in a 7-eleven store by her mom when she was 11. One of her boarding school's house mothers, Hannah, picked her up and watched out for her ever since. When Hannah suddenly disappears without an explanation, Taylor realizes that her past is somewhat tied to Hannah's and she has to uncover mysteries to learn more about herself.

I admit that I was lost and confused by the first few chapters of the book. Taylor narrates but interspersed in her story are pages from Hannah's manuscript about the incredible friendship of five kids who used to live in that area. Hannah's story occured more than twenty years ago so basically you're following two story arcs as you read. I think this is also the first time that I've read a novel set in Australia so some of the terms used and the school structure were a bit confusing for me. Just keep reading and by the time you get to the middle, I'm sure you won't be able to stop. Each revelation will make you want to know more. I love the characters in this book - Taylor, Jonah, Raffy, Chaz and also the kids in the manuscript: Narnie, Webb, Tate, Jude and Fitz. They're all a part of this amazing story. And the sizzling connection between Taylor and Jonah has fed my YA romance hunger.

I highly recommend this to fellow YA fans or even those who aren't into YA. I wonder if Melina Marchetta's other books are just as good? I'd love to read them if they are but I haven't seen them around.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Jellicoe Road.

Quotes Chachic Liked

Melina Marchetta
“What do you want from me?" he asks.
What I want from every person in my life, I want to tell him.
More.”
Melina Marchetta, Jellicoe Road

Melina Marchetta
“My father took one hundred and thirty-two minutes to die.

I counted.

It happened on the Jellicoe Road. The prettiest road I’d ever seen, where trees made breezy canopies like a tunnel to Shangri-La. We were going to the ocean, hundreds of miles away, because I wanted to see the ocean and my father said that it was about time the four of us made that journey. I remember asking, 'What’s the difference between a trip and a journey?' and my father said, 'Narnie, my love, when we get there, you’ll understand,' and that was the last thing he ever said.”

Melina Marchetta
“Is a person worth more because they have someone to grieve for them?”

Melina Marchetta
“From this distance everything is so bloody perfect.”

Melina Marchetta
“I'm very disturbed to find out that the leader of the Townies has a soul and I'm beginning to develop a bit of a crush on him.”

Melina Marchetta
“These people have history and I crave history. I crave someone knowing me so well that they can tell what I'm thinking. Jonah Griggs takes my hand under the table and links my fingers with his and I know that I would sacrifice almost anything just to keep this state of mind, for the rest of the week at least.”

Melina Marchetta
“He stops and looks at me. 'I'm here because of you. You're my priority. Your happiness, in some fucked way, is tuned in to mine. Get that through your thick skull. Would I like it any other way? Hell, yes, but I don't think that will be happening in my lifetime.”

Melina Marchetta
“When I turn around, he cups my face in his hands and he kisses me so deeply that I don't know who is breathing for who, but his mouth and tongue taste like warm honey. I don't know how long it lasts, but when I let go of him, I miss it already.”

Melina Marchetta
“It's funny how you can forget everything except people loving you. Maybe that's why humans find it so hard getting over love affairs. It's not the pain they're getting over, it's the love.”

Melina Marchetta
“What's with what you're wearing?" Griggs asks while we stand outside waiting for the others.
"It's pretty hideous, isn't it?" I say.
"Don't force me to look at it," he says. "It's see-through."

That kills conversation for a couple of seconds.”

Melina Marchetta
“Because being part of him isn't just anything. It's kind of everything.”

“Jonah Griggs.
Not just a name but a state of mind I never want to revisit, although I do keep him at the back of my mind for those times I get me hopes raised about something. So then I can slap myself into reality and remind myself of what happens when you let someone into your sacred space. Jonah Griggs is my second reminder to never ever trust another human being. My mother was first.”

Melina Marchetta
“No," I say, looking up at Griggs. "It's actually because my heart belongs to someone else." And if I could bottle the look on his face, I'd keep it by my bedside for the rest of my life.”

Melina Marchetta
“If you weren't driving, I'd kiss you senseless," I tell him.
He swerves to the side of the road and stops the car abruptly.
"Not driving any more.”

Melina Marchetta
“Do you think I don't want him to be gone more than you do? I do. Because I need to know that I can still breathe properly when he's not around. If something happens to him, I have to know that I won't fall apart...”

Melina Marchetta
“This isn't romance. This isn't a declaration of love or affirmation of friendship. This is something more.”

04/06/2010 page 35
03/14/2012 page 3
1.0% "Rereading this for #MarchettaMadness..."
03/15/2012 page 75
25.0% ""Jonah Griggs is a tank. His face is blunter, meaner than I remember. Hair cropped. Eyes cold. Arms folded. He has perfected the art of looking straight at someone while avoiding eye contact." Why hello there, Jonah." 2 comments

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Brandy Painter "Book hangover alert!" Yeah, this book gave me one of those too. I can not get it out of my head.

Chachic Yay Brandy, you've read it! It's even better than Saving Francesca, isn't it? Jellicoe is actually one of the books that made me more interested in contemporary YA. Before than, most of the YA books that I was reading were fantasy.

Beth I'm so happy you liked it! And I think all of Marchetta's contemporaries are amazing.

Aly (Fantasy4eva) Makes me miss this book all over again. So glad you loved it. YAY!!

Chachic Beth and Aly, sorry, I just saw your comments! I read this one way back in 2010 and just reread it this March for Marchetta Madness. :)