Amelia's Reviews > The Bonesetter's Daughter

Mar 24, 08

Recommended to Amelia by: Diane and Susan
Recommended for: Mom, Kristen, Celeste
Read in March, 2008

Amy Tan has a way of starting a story that's impossible to put down. For the first half of the book I kept wondering what about it made it so good. Anecdotal stories, relatable characters, Chinese folklore for interest ... these are all good, but I finally realized in the last quarter of the book why I liked it so much. Because it's a book about learning to love your past no matter how many scars it gives you, and learning to love and forgive your parents and ancestors, no matter what they may have done to your gene pool. It's a story about loving people the best way you know how, and believing that some day they'll know just how much you love them, and just how much you wish you could change your faults so you could love them better. But you hope that your feeble offering will be enough. And it's a story about accepting the feeble offering for the gold mine that it is ... not feeble at all. I learned a lot about myself and my family relationships through reading this book, and would recommend it to anyone who has a loved one they just can't quite relate to or understand.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bonesetter's Daughter.