Katy's Reviews > The Farming of Bones

The Farming of Bones by Edwidge Danticat

F 50x66
Apr 04, 10

The Farming of Bones traces the life of a Haitian servant living in the Dominican Republic in 1937, the year of the tragic massacre of thousands of Haitians in the border river between the two countries. the protagonist, Amabelle, tries to flee and is captured and tortured, and lives the rest of her life finding peace amongst the turmoil that the massacre resulted in.

This work has been my favorite that I've read thus far for this class. Perhaps because I am especially interested in the subject matter of tension between Haiti and the Dominican Republic, perhaps because I've read other works that deal with this conflict (but never this particular event), or perhaps because I've read several works of Danticat's and I'm learning more through being familiar her style. Regardless, I got a lot out of this work, about the historical facts of the event itself, the culture of Haiti, universalities about remembering lost loved ones, and an overall positive reading experience from Danticat's rich narrative style.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Farming of Bones.