Paul's Reviews > Asylum

Asylum by Patrick McGrath

May 04, 10

bookshelves: i-don-t-know-why-i-read-this, novels

It says on the back this book is a meditation on the nature of love. So, what is love? Love is when someone gently tugs this book out of your hands and says "you don't need to read this one, dear. All the quotes on the back were paid for. It's high class tripe."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Asylum.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Petabyte (new)

Petabyte It's that bad, eh? Everyone else who's commented seems to like it. What about this book didn't you like, specifically?

Paul Well, the classy wife of the boring shrink at the top security psychiatric hospital (read Broadmoor) falls for the handsome broadshouldered sensitive artist who's fixing their conservatory and then runs off to dingy London with him whereupon he treats her mean and keeps her keen and...no, I can't go on. It's pure soap!

message 3: by Petabyte (new)

Petabyte It's like a modern-day bodice ripper or something!

message 4: by Jessica (last edited Apr 27, 2008 04:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jessica I liked it. Not as much as other earlier novels of his...but he's fun. I like the gothic, unreliable narrator voice. He does it so well. He's wicked and he's good. Not all the time, I grant you...but.

Cricket I found the psychology of it intriguing, personally.

Paul Well, I found it to be laid on with a trowel.

Saliotthomas Sure you can do the very same with Anna Karenia and fell smart about out.

message 8: by Sandi (new)

Sandi Is it a romance novel in literary guise?

Paul Literary is a kind word.

message 10: by Chad (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chad Ha! I liked the book but I loved your comment. Funny!

message 11: by Paul (new) - rated it 2 stars

Paul thanks Chad. What a very rude review that is.

message 12: by Ian (new)

Ian [Paganus de] Graye Love is when someone gently tugs this book out of your hands and says, "You don't need to read this one, dear. You're coming to bed with me."

message 13: by Sandi (new)

Sandi Ian wrote: "Love is when someone gently tugs this book out of your hands and says, "You don't need to read this one, dear. You're coming to bed with me.""

Awww!

Becky Everhart I really enjoyed the unrelaible narrator and the fact that not everything was spelled out, since so many stories are spoon-fed to readers. Like Chad, I thought your comment about going to bed was quite humorous even if I do not agree with your assessment. It reminds me of a book about the chef life that was endorsed by every TV chef as being awesome--it was the worst book.

message 15: by Paul (new) - rated it 2 stars

Paul was that one In the Kitchen by Monica Ali?