Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Queen of the Undead's Reviews > Black Wings

Black Wings by Christina Henry

Mar 11, 2010

it was ok

The rambling and ranting review of a bookfanatic!

Ok, I do not get it. I really had a hard time with this book. I kept putting it down because I found it boring and frustrating. In fact, I ended up reading a novella in-between just to get through this book.

Here are my rants-(Yes, I’m reverting to the ole bullet point list- work with me people.)

• Madeline Black is one annoying character. I know other reviews talked about how much they enjoyed her but frankly, I was just the opposite. She was whiny, and stupid! She supposedly has been on her own since the age of 13 (I’ll come to that later) but manages to dive into one dangerous situation after another without any forethought. Then, when she gets beat up, bruised, and tossed around, she whines about it- non-stop.

• She is a virgin. Now, do not get me wrong. That in itself is NOT a bad thing at all. No, in fact, since the book was not focused on puncturing her “maidenhead” (can you tell I’ve been reading some historical romance recently), it was nice to have Maddy as a virgin without further explanation. HOWEVER, she sure did not act like a virgin with Gabriel. She goes from “who the heck are you and I don’t trust you” to “take me Gabriel”. The explanation given why Maddy would go from mistrust to lust was a bust (I couldn’t help myself) aka “very under-developed”.

• She is a virgin. Yes, I know this is a repeat, so sue me. A scene bugged me about a particular demon smelling her virginity. Now, I’ve read a lot of UF and I’ve seen this before in books but this particular demon has a particular relationship to Maddy (which I can’t say-spoiler) and the entire scene was gross, and as far as I know (at least in book 1), smelling her virginity seemed unnecessary to the story.

• Background info. There were so many gaps in this story. Some of the gaps were filled in eventually but the more the author tried to fill in the gaps, the more the story seemed to lose its way.

• She has been on her own since 13! This was casually mentioned as if it was no big deal. I felt the author missed some serious background info by not diving into this other than the casual reference.

• The writing. Here is an example-

“His face was very close and I was careful not to look directly into his eyes. I did not want to fall into starshine again and have my will sucked out of me. The pressure on my wrists was firm, but he wasn’t hurting me. I struggled even though it was clear he could hold me there all day without sweating.”

The writing comes across so mechanical or technical. The author wants me to be in Maddy’s head but I feel like I’m reading a technical manual instead of the thoughts and feelings of a girl struggling.

Ok, so I had many problems with this book but I’m still giving it two stars. Why? Because I managed to finish it and the last 10 or so pages were not that bad. I know everyone else is loving this book and I feel a bit left out but I’ll remain odd man out (ok, odd woman out) on this one and not continue with this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Wings.

12/02/2010 page 125
42.0% "ok, mr Gabriel, duh she is not a "human child", humans don't have big ass black wings sprouting from their back. Another thing, demon comes along and sniffs that you are a virgin, and later we find out that demon is your....... (can't say..spoiler). I'm frustrated with this book. Can you tell?" 2 comments
12/02/2010 page 130
44.0% "This book reminds me so much of Scythe by M.K. Mancos." 7 comments
12/03/2010 page 210
71.0% "this book has annoyed me.. I'm still w/ it but I keep putting it down!" 3 comments
12/03/2010 page 220
75.0% "I will get through this book, I will, I will, I will." 13 comments
12/03/2010 page 295
100.0% "I finally finished. yeah!" 13 comments
03/10/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by AH (new) - added it

AH I like it when you rant. Great review!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead AH wrote: "I like it when you rant. Great review!"

Yes, but I'm not very good at keeping my names straight, halfway through Maddy became Gabby somehow. I've changed it. Btw, thanks. :)

message 3: by Rane (new) - added it

Rane Great Rant Review Michelle!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Rane wrote: "Great Rant Review Michelle!
Smell her virginity for real? Guess he go crazy at a nunnery! *LOL* sorry, sorry very lame"

LOL, yeah he'd be in his own personal "heaven".

Catherine Too bad you didn't enjoy it more. I liked it, but I can see how it could rub you wrong.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Catherine wrote: "Too bad you didn't enjoy it more. I liked it, but I can see how it could rub you wrong.

I completely agree about the virginity smelling thing. Blech! Especially when I found out who he was!"

Did you ever find out what the purpose behind that scene was? It seemed like it was introduced just to point out she was a virgin. Later, I thought I missed something and her virgin perfume had some significance that I didn't know.

Catherine I could swear that it was significant, but I honestly can't recall why.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Catherine wrote: "I could swear that it was significant, but I honestly can't recall why."

I can't remember either. Oh well...

Catherine Michelle wrote: "Catherine wrote: "I could swear that it was significant, but I honestly can't recall why."

I can't remember either. Oh well..."

Either way the virginity smeller was a bit gross. It reminded me of the child catcher sniffing out kids in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

message 10: by AH (new) - added it

AH That is a creepy image.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Catherine wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Catherine wrote: "I could swear that it was significant, but I honestly can't recall why."

I can't remember either. Oh well..."

Either way the virginity smeller was a bit gross. ..."

LOL!

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Like your bullets. he he So, her virginity gives off a scent. Maybe it's her purity. LOL Anyway, I'm still curious and will put this down as "to-read." :o)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Anna wrote: "Like your bullets. he he So, her virginity gives off a scent. Maybe it's her purity. LOL Anyway, I'm still curious and will put this down as "to-read." :o)"

LOL.... you DO NOT want to know who scented her virginity! As my son would say when he was 4... eeewww gross!

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) As long as it's not her daddy! LOL Then, of course, it depends on where he puts his nose, too! :/

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Anna wrote: "As long as it's not her daddy! LOL Then, of course, it depends on where he puts his nose, too! :/"

Well, it wasn't her daddy but very very close.