Christine's Reviews > Darkfever

Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning

Feb 18, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, mystery, paranormal, suspense-thriller
Read on March 11, 2010

Editd 2/18/11: I've been going through and editing my review of this series after a re-read (in preparation for reading the final volume), and am really taking back all reservations. This series is fantastic, 5 stars. Going back to the first book was strange, because Mack changes so much as a direct result of what happens to her, but that's part of what makes the series great. HIGHLY RECOMMEND

***

Maybe more like 4.5 stars, but I've been looking for good urban fantasy for a long time now and this fit the bill. For those who (like me) are not well versed in the world of the fae, this draws you in slowly with a narrator who is (initially) completely ignorant about that world. This is one of those ordinary woman finds out she's something extraordinary stories, which almost always appeal to me.

Brief synopsis: Mackayla goes off to Ireland in search of her sister's killer when she discovers that she is a sidhe-seer (someone who can see the fae).

Mackayla is a good, genuine character -- a bit of a reluctant hero. The first person voice has personality but doesn't get in the way of the story. My only complaint is that at the end of the book, we almost have more questions than answers, but this is the first in a series.

I recommend this to anyone who enjoys urban fantasy.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkfever.