Rhapsody's Reviews > Broken

Dec 09, 15

it was ok
bookshelves: romance, fiction
Read on March 16, 2010

Sarah is on the run, in hiding from something in her past. Money is tight and she reluctantly accepts a local woman's generous offer to stay in the apartment over her house. It turns out that Quinn is renting the basement of the house. Abused as a child and blaming himself for the recent death of a woman he loved, Quinn has huge issues with trust and intimacy, but he's immediately attracted to Sarah and before long they enter into a serious relationship. But neither is willing to share anything about their pasts and Quinn won't even tell her that he's currently working as a bounty hunter. Eventually problems back home mean Sarah has to leave again, but not before Quinn's boss gives him Sarah's file as his next job.

Good book, at least for Shiloh Walker. I've really disliked her other novels, but this one was at least okay. If nothing else, the heroine was able to stay close-lipped about her situation, opposed to the other Walker books I've read where practically halfway through the first date the heroine's already gushing about how she was raped and beaten and then got hooked on drugs. Some people have said that the conclusion was far-fetched and ridiculous. I sort of felt that, but in the end, it's just a romance novel. As tidy and unlikely as it was, it gave closure and let us appreciate the heroine's toughness.

Not a great book, but not painful to read. Don't enter into it with false expectations though. This is NOT a romance novel with an abused heroine.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken.