Morgan's Reviews > Sisters Red

Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

1977404
May 11, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, fairy-tales-retold, fiction, horror, mythology, paranormal, werewolves
Read in April, 2011

I borrowed this from the library, because of the cover. I was expecting it to be a little more Snow White/Rose Red than Little Red Riding Hood, but I can't tell you *why* I thought that. One look inside the cover at the description would have confirmed that I was incorrect. A closer look at the cover should have even tipped me off, but I honestly didn't see the wolf's head at first. haha.

At the end of the book, I am curious to see this marked as "Sisters Red #1" as if there will be more along the same lines. It seemed like it came to a reasonable conclusion, but now I am going to do a little bit of digging...

Okay, it looks like it is just a name for a series of faerie tale retellings, because the second one is Hansel & Gretel-ish. Seems odd to lump them under "Sisters Red #whatever" then.

Back to the book itself:

It was interesting seeing the similarities between the sisters. The author seems to go out of their way to illustrate just how different the two girls are, but it also serves to make their similarities stand out even more clearly. On the flip side, they have both been shaped in very different ways by a brutal attack when they were both quite young.

Even though Rosie is not outwardly scarred like Scarlett, the attack cut her just as deeply. It is something that even Scarlett seems to overlook. There were some tense moments where the final outcome seemed certain and then changed back and forth.

A reasonably quick read that kept me entertained, curious, and reading until the very last page before I put it down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sisters Red.