Jason's Reviews > The Surrogates

The Surrogates by Robert Venditti

Mar 15, 10

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, graphic-novels-comic-books, science-fiction
Read from March 11 to 14, 2010

I've thoroughly enjoyed this series. The concept of owning a surrogate and living vicariously through it in your career, relationships, and daily life is equally fascinating as it is horrifying. I loved how much Venditti thought through the implications of this technology and what kind of an impact vicarious living could have on culture, politics, and religion. I was lucky enough to read the collected volumes which included some extremely creative advertising from Virtual Life Inc. It was so believable that, if we had this technology today, I could absolutely see people clambering in lines to get their first "surry"!

I felt that the only drawbacks to the series are the lack of detail in the artwork (yet I know this is why it's called art) and one "hole" in the story; it wasn't realistic that the government would "reward" the Dread people for their deadly violence in 1939 by giving them 70 square miles of their own land along with billions in funding for agriculture, property development, etc. Realistically speaking, these people would've been hunted down and imprisoned for their crimes. Aside from these 2 minor points I thoroughly enjoyed this story.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Surrogates.