Diane's Reviews > Winter Study

Winter Study by Nevada Barr

Mar 11, 2010

bookshelves: audio-books-read
Read in January, 2009

Nevada Barr is a new to me author who I have wanted to read for a long while. I own several of her books, but have not read any until now. For those of you who are not familiar with her books, the Anna Pigeon series is about a National Park Services Ranger/ sleuth of sorts (Anna Pigeon). All of the author's mysteries are based at least in part on her personal experience. Barr worked as a park ranger at several national parks, and so she is familiar with the various locales where her stories take place. This book is #14 in a series, but I was told it was not necessary to read them in order.

Anna Pigeon is forty-something, newly married and madly in love with her husband. It is obvious she misses him when she is called away on assignment. She is also funny, sharp, and independent. In this particular mystery Anna is sent to The Isle of Royale on the northern shore of Lake Superior. It is the dead of winter and her assignment is to study the interaction of gray wolves with moose. This has been a 50 year project that may soon face extinction if Homeland Security gets their way. Homeland Security is exploring the possibility of keeping the park open and guarded year round, in an effort to control the illegal alien situation at the Canadian border.

Anna gets to camp out in a cramped cabin with several research scientists, and Homeland Security official. Frigid weather, blizzards, dangerous ice, and wolf calls near by are just some of the things the project participants must contend with. Strange things begin to occur on their very first night there. Before long one of the researchers is found mauled to death, and strange footprints are found at the scene. Foul play is suspected, but when Anna herself has a few too many close calls, it becomes clear something very dark is going on.

MY THOUGHTS - This was my first Nevada Barr book, and I enjoyed it a lot. The reader Barbara Rosenblat is always a pleasure to listen to. The story is tension filled, and parts made me shiver a bit. It was probably not the best story to be listened to before bedtime :) The tracking information gathered as part of the study was really interesting. The author did a terrific job depicting the beautiful, natural surroundings of the area, and of setting the mood. If you enjoy mysteries with a likable heroine who certainly has her act together, I would recommend trying one of her mysteries. I did not feel the least bit lost by starting my experience with this author at book #14. Mystery fans -- this book is recommended (4/5 stars)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter Study.