Claire H's Reviews > A River Runs Through It and Other Stories

A River Runs Through It and Other Stories by Norman Maclean

May 28, 12

Read from May 08 to 28, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A River Runs Through It and Other Stories.

Quotes Claire Liked

Norman Maclean
“Many of us would probably be better fishermen if we did not spend so much time watching and waiting for the world to become perfect”

Norman Maclean
“Each one of us here today will at one time in our lives look upon a loved one who is in need and ask the same question: We are willing to help, Lord, but what, if anything, is needed? For it is true we can seldom help those closest to us. Either we don't know what part of ourselves to give or, more often than not, the part we have to give is not wanted. And so it is those we live with and should know who elude us. But we can still love them - we can love completely without complete understanding.”

Norman Maclean
“My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him all good things-trout as well as eternal salvation-come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy.”

Norman Maclean
“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear. It is those we live with and love and should know who elude us. You can love completely without complete understanding.”

Norman Maclean
“Yet even in the loneliness of the canyon I knew there were others like me who had brothers they did not understand but wanted to help. We are probably those referred to as "our brother's keepers," possessed of one of the oldest and possible one of the most futile and certainly one of the most haunting instincts. It will not let us go.”

05/08/2012 page 3
1.0% "Great opening line: "In our family, there was no clear line between religion and fly-fishing." And kind of loving the dry humour"
05/08/2012 page 30
13.0% "On page 30, you start to realize that this is a story about men"
05/10/2012 page 62
26.0% ""It was here, while waiting for my brother, that I started this story, although, of course, at that time I did not know that stories of life are often more like rivers than books. But I knew a story had begun, perhaps long ago near the sound of water.""
05/17/2012 page 125
52.0% ""I was young and I thought I was tough and I knew it was beautiful and I was a little bit crazy but hadn't noticed yet.""
show 2 hidden updates…