Buggy's Reviews > Anyone But You

Anyone But You by Jennifer Crusie

Nov 28, 13

bookshelves: chick-lit, gone-to-the-dogs, contemp-rom, shelf-13
Read from April 21 to 24, 2013

Opening Line: “The last thing Nina Askew needed was Fred.”

Newly divorced Nina Askew has just turned forty and found her freedom. Of course freedom from her stuffy husband and suburban home comes at a cost and Nina now finds herself a tad on the lonely side. Rambling around her apartment, watching old movies and drinking Amaretto milkshakes with her BFF just aren’t cutting it anymore. She needs something else. What she needs is a puppy; a perky, rambunctious, adorable puppy. What Nina gets is Fred. (Personally I’ve always believed that your dog finds you) And in return Fred finds Alex for her, the decade younger, hunky E.R doctor from downstairs.

Fred. This really is his book, he absolutely steals the show here and I found that instead of falling for the hero (which is usually the case) I fell for Fred. Those opening chapters where Nina adopts his depressed, smelly, vertically challenged, morose self from the pound while trying to get herself a cheerful puppy are just brilliant.

“Nina turned to the attendant, and said, “I’ll take him.”
The attendant raised an eyebrow, “That’s your idea of perky?”
Nina gestured to the puppies, “They’ll all be adopted right?”
“Probably”
Nina took one last glance at the tumbling, chubby puppies. Prozac with four legs and a tail. Then she looked at the other dog, depressed alone. Too old to be cute anymore if he ever had been. “I have a lot in common with this dog” she told the attendant.

Yup, dejected, moaning, bra stealing, Oreo eating, smelly, overweight, great lump of a dog. What’s not to love?

Anyone But You was my first Jennifer Crusie read and it was a pleasure. With a sweet, uncomplicated (older woman/younger man) romance and relaxed writing style; I can see why Crusie is so popular. This just put a smile on my face which honestly I needed because it’s been a rough month.

My only issues would be that their friendship seemed to develop really fast. They met and bam, they were instantly familiar, spending all their time together, watching movies, jogging and hanging out, there was no getting to know period. I also felt that the ending was a bit rushed (word count?) but these are just minor gripes

The secondary characters are engaging and addictive and I can’t help but hope they got their own stories (have to check into that -written in 96.)I was also pleasantly surprised by the steaminess of the love scenes. Yeah, nice! And how great is it to read about a 40 year old woman grabbing the younger hot guy. Sure she had some body issues (saggy, things not where they used to be) but this just made it all the more realistic. Cheers
357jb3.5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anyone But You.

04/24/2013 page 283
04/24/2013 marked as: read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Steamywindows♥♫ Wonderful review Buggy! I agree about reading about a mature heroine and oo la la a hot younger guy!

Barks & Bites "Too old to be cute anymore if he ever had been."

Awwws, poor smelly Fred. I fell in love with him too :) Great review Buggy. I love Crusie's old books. Her newer ones have lost that magic touch for me.

Buggy Steamywindows♥♫ wrote: "Wonderful review Buggy! I agree about reading about a mature heroine and oo la la a hot younger guy!"

Thanks Steamy, This was a real pleasure. It was fun to read about a heroine my own age for sure!

message 4: by Buggy (last edited Apr 25, 2013 01:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Buggy BarkLessWagMore wrote: ""Too old to be cute anymore if he ever had been."

Hey Barkless, This was my first J Crusie book but I will definitely be searching out some of her (older) ones after this (thanks for the tip)

And Fred... so great. I just adored that opening chapter when he "finds her" at the pound

Karla Great review Buggy! I enjoyed this one too!

Buggy Thanks so much Karla. I can't believe its taken me so long to discover J Crusie

Karla Buggy wrote: "Thanks so much Karla. I can't believe its taken me so long to discover J Crusie"

I'm listening to Maybe This Time and loving it. I also enjoy Bet Me, low steam but a great story and Welcome to Temptation, a little steamier and very funny!

Buggy Thanks for the super recommendations Karla. I'm definitely going to search out her earlier books

message 9: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Lane instead of falling for the hero (which is usually the case) I fell for Fred

Oh! Ha ha.

I haven't read this one but I've enjoyed other books by Jennifer Crusie and actually attended a writing workshop she gave in Ohio.

Excellent review, Buggy! How is the I-Team series coming along? I am just finishing Striking Distance.

Buggy Oh I would love to attend a writing workshop with her, lucky you Jennifer!

I have Striking Distance waiting for me and the prequel, as soon as I finish a couple of review books. Can't wait. I'll check out your review now, I'm assuming you loved it!

message 11: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Lane Haven't quite finished or written my review of the prequel or of Striking Distance but hope to soon! Happily I have the MacKinnon brothers Christmas novella waiting for me. :-)

Buggy Arghhh, LOL another one. I forgot all about that Xmas novella I better get reading! I'll keep an eye out for your review