Victoria's Reviews > Travels With Macy

Nov 14, 12

it was ok
bookshelves: books-with-dogs, memoir, non-fiction
Read from February 19 to 21, 2009 , read count: 1

Though marketed as the recreation of one man tracing the steps of John Steinbeck's Travels with Charley: In Search of America, this is more like one man's trip that was inspired by John Steinbeck's travels, as there were many diversions from the original path. It is a fun read in that it is certainly the type of vacation that I would like to take with my own dog some day. But it is rather disappointing that Fogle skirts around Illinois. Due to that and some other major “misses” his tour of America simply does not feel complete.

My main pet peeve throughout the book is the way Fogle consistently referred to his golden retriever and his wife collectively as "The Blondes"... I may have chuckled the first time, but after a while it started to really bother me. Though really, Fogle seems to prefer not to use his wife’s first name at all - he also refers to her as "the chief" which is rather unclear in the beginning. Also, the book has many dull moments and at times ventures into feeling more like reading someone's private diary than a book meant for the public... I mean, I don't really care what he ate for dinner every single night! The constant underlying political tone quickly becomes more than a bit annoying as well, since I wasn't expecting to read about that, and was hoping for more about his dog, seeing how different dogs are treated across America... some of that was in it, but he spent much more time obsessing over the political climate than he did calling his wife by name or focusing on the title character of the book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Travels With Macy.