Sandy D.'s Reviews > Literacy and Longing in L.A.

Literacy and Longing in L.A. by Jennifer Kaufman

Mar 11, 10

bookshelves: romance, western-u-s
Read in September, 2006

I liked this a huge amount. I grabbed it off the new release shelf, and at first it seemed like highbrow chick lit (not that there's anything wrong with that), but it doesn't follow the classic chick lit formula. And the writers are pretty skillful, too. And reading about bookstores and reading binges and all kinds of classic literature was tremendous fun, apart from the plot and the characters, which were both very good. I loved the literary quotes at the beginning of each chapter and the book list at the back of the book, too.

If I didn't have a family and/or work and responsibilities, I might go on reading binges like the main character. I loved their description:

"...not like before, when my stupid, marathon zonk-out sessions plunged me into a deep and enthralling haze of complex, voluptuous portraits and mysteries, myths, dreams, deaths, human tragedies, ingenious plots, failed marriages, odysseys, ecstasies, meditations, hallucinations, and extended, strenuous, pulsating scenes of making love."

So. Big thumbs up for entertainment, erudition, suspense, and likable, engaging characters that made you want to see what happened to them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Literacy and Longing in L.A..